Press Releases

Roe Donating Pay Check to a Military Charity if Troops Do Not Receive Pay During a Government Shutdown

f t # e
Washington, April 8, 2011 | comments

WASHINGTON D.C. – Today, U.S. Congressman Phil Roe, M.D. (TN-01) announced that he will not accept pay if our troops do not receive pay during a government shutdown. 

Roe made the following statement:

“Our  men and women in uniform serving in Afghanistan, Iraq, and around the world should be the first in this country to be paid by the federal government. That is why I have made the decision to donate my entire pay check to a military charity during a government shutdown if our troops do not receive a pay check.

“It is unconscionable the President is threatening to veto legislation the House passed to ensure our troops will be paid during a government shutdown. The fact that there is any question about timely pay for our troops is a slap in the face to the men and women in uniform who are fighting on the front lines to protect our country and our freedom.”

Earlier today I, along with 45 of my colleagues, sent the following letter  to the President, asking him to sign the Troops Funding legislation:

We are writing to express our grave concern with the Statement of Administration Policy issued in regard to H.R. 1363—the Troop Funding Bill—indicating that you would veto the bill should it be presented to you for your signature. While we can disagree in good faith on the fiscal crisis that faces our country, the thought that the commander-in-chief would willingly cut off funding to troops in the field is unconscionable.

The men and women who have answered the call and put their lives in harm’s way——and their families who take care of the home front—deserve to be paid. Troops serving abroad in places like Afghanistan and Iraq have enough to be concerned about without worrying if their families will be able to buy groceries.


It’s time for your administration—and the Senate majority—to stop using our troops as a chip at the bargaining table. We urge you to sign H.R. 1363 so that we can resume negotiations and move the country forward.


f t # e